From Marist Studies
25 August 1853 — Father Jean-Baptiste Petit-Jean to Father Victor Poupinel, Wellington
Translated by Peter McConnell, June 2011
Based on the document sent, APM Z 208.
- [p. 4] [Address]
- Au révérend § père Poupinel § Lyon § Montée § S(ain)t Barthélemy § no 4
[p. 1] [In the handwriting of Poupinel]: Fr Petitjean
- Wellington 25 August 1853. – S(ain)t Louis –
- To rev Fr Poupinel
- Reverend Father,
- A pious person sent me a pound for the sanctuary of Notre-Dame de la Salette. That person is Miss Thomas Fitzgerald. Her intentions are that ten shillings are from her or in her name and that ten shillings should be from me or in my name. Be so good as to put her name on the list of subscribers. As far as I am concerned I think it best to record the matter in this way: On behalf of a friend of Notre-Dame de la Salette in New Zealand. Do as you please. I am sending the pound today to Bishop Viard who is taking on himself to contact you so that you can have the money sent on to its destination adding to the funds of His Lordship in France.
- I recommend myself to your prayers and am forever in the Sacred Hearts (of Jesus and Mary) your very humble and very obedient servant,
- Jean-Baptiste Petit-Jean
- Priest of the Society of Mary.
- PS. Please acknowledge sometime receipt of this letter.